[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: logins to secure web pages

> How can I set up multiple http servers to accept the same username and password
> information without having to enter it multiple times?
>
> What I would like to do is have the web browser pass the second server the same
> username and password it did the first server and have the second server accept
> it.

   If you use the CERN server and its protection scheme, you just need to
point to the same password/group files for each of your servers. Thus, the
names and passwords (and groups) will be shared. Of course, beware of the
file protections and the like.

> I would like to make it so that the user enters their username and password
> once when they enter the "system" and browse freely from then on.
> I guess you could liken my goal to logging on to a domain with LAN Server or LAN
> Manager and then having whatever resources are assigned to you available until
> you log off. How do I do it?

   I do not think you can do it. Because a browser should _not_ send the
user/password associated to some server to any other server (just imagine : you
could write your own 'server' which logs this kind of info...). So, even if
usernames and passwords are shared, your users will have to connect explicitly
(and authenticate themselves) to each of your server.
   IMHO, it may be possible to use a proxy server (to which your users will
identify themselves) to do what you want. That is, the proxy will connect to
the 'other server', eventually using some kind of protection scheme, and
return the data to your users. Since I have note tested it, Experts, what do
you think of this ?

--
-+-+ Pierre-Yves BONNETAIN (aka Pyb)
     Consultant Internet